The new world of formula

So now that I have Niall on formula, a few things have changed. First of all, he's so constipated. He used to poop 5 or 6 times a day and now it's once every 3 or 4 days! Apparently, this is what happens when you hold it in for that long...


Poor little guy! I was worried that it was hurting him but it doesn't seem to bother him at all. Aside from his look of shame... "Yes, mom, I did it- what do you want from me?" It's pretty funny, though; he works really hard to get that poop out. We'll hear him grunting in his bassinet and when I look over, I just see his legs flailing in the air.

Second, he spits up all the time. I know it's normal for babies to do that, but sometimes it seems like he spits up everything he just ate. He sometimes chokes on it a little and that makes me so sad. Sometimes, I have to use the bulb syringe from the hospital to suck it out of his throat- even his nose. The milk will literally shoot out of his nose! I cut him back to 3 oz per feeding instead of 4 and that's helping a little. I just have to feed him more often. At this age, it's 2-4 oz every 2-4 hours. They eat A LOT.

But he's finally almost sleeping through the night. I just get up once around 2:30 to feed him and then he goes right back to sleep. He's definitely not a fan of the mid-bottle burp, though. He'll scream for a bit at the end, too, when it's all gone. Then he realizes he's full and goes right to sleep on my shoulder. It's so cute- sometimes he passes right out mid-cry.

I have to say, though, we're much less stressed. Aside from the guilt that I felt and still feel for not breastfeeding, we're doing so much better. I'm not in constant pain and he's much happier, too. I know how much food he's getting and when to give it to him. Things are predictable and I really like that. I'm a very scheduled person, so it really helps me to feel more in control. We never had any issues switching to the bottle, as I've heard some other people do. I think he's just happy to be eating- he doesn't care what it is or where it comes from!

Comments

Popular Posts