First Words?

I've said it before and I'll say it again- it's just so hard to gauge when a baby is really doing something. Doing something and doing it on purpose are 2 totally different things, which I've painfully been learning as Niall is growing and changing.

Matt and I went up last night to check on him- something we do often now, ever since he decided to start standing up in the crib when he's not ready to go to sleep. We weren't too worried about it, since we lowered the mattress to the lowest notch... until he gnawed the paint off the railing the other day.

He was crying a lot that day, and after I let it go for about 20 minutes, I went it to see what was going on. He had white specs all over his face and there was the evidence, plain as day: where the crib was once a nice white shiny laquer was now exposed wood. With all the lead paint in this old house, I am grateful the crib is one thing that doesn't have it. (You never know, though, with all these recalls).

Anyway, he's been saying dadada a lot lately, but we didn't really think he knew what he was saying. Then, today he started with the "mamamama" out of nowhere. I was excited, but I didn't think he was doing it on purpose or anything. But as the day went on, it was "mama" and "moommm", much more pronounced and sounded like the real deal!

Then, when Matt and I went in to check on him last night, he was in chat and play mode. He was bouncing all around and making all sorts of noises, when he suddenly looked right at me and said "mama"! It was so exciting, I almost started crying. Matt and I were both cheering and laughing, but then he continued playing with his toys and saying "mama, mama, mamamama". So now I'm not sure if he really did it on purpose, or if it was a complete coincidence.

I think I'm going to pretend it was on purpose, whether it was or not :)

Comments

Popular Posts