Best of Mom Quotes

I love the attitude and thinking of moms who have more than 3 kids.  They crack me up with their stories of going from doting perfect mother to unfazed neglector.  I am sure this is what will happen to me after number 2, but right now I'm still trying pretty hard to be perfect (keyword trying).

I still check on Niall in the middle of the night and during his naps to make sure he's breathing.  I have this crazy fear that he is somehow incapable of taking a breath on his own, without my life supporting hand on his back.  The scary part is that I'm not sure what to do if I go in and he's really not breathing.  I know how to do CPR, but I've never actually had to put it to use and I'm pretty sure I'd be horrible at it.

So, I was in California for the wedding and kept sneaking away from the crowd to do the old breathing check.  My stepmom asked me what I was doing, so I told her about my fear and asked if she ever grew out of that phase (assuming she had been in it at some point).  She looked a little confused, like she had never done the world famous breathing check before.  When I elaborated, asking her if she ever went in while her kids were sleeping to make sure they were still alive, she responded:

"Why would I do that?  I would risk waking them up."

Hahahaha!  I love it.  It's a good point...


 VS

Comments

  1. yeah dude, marsh and pipe took a walk last night when i was with my client. she looked a little too peaceful sleepin in her stroller. i promptly grabbed her foot and woke her up. marsh was like "you idiot."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do understand the mother's fear of her baby not breathing; I've gone there "a few" times myself! Thanks for the follow! I am following you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is like you and checks on our little guy multiple times a night and during naps as well. Sometimes he even TOUCHES him to make sure he reacts.

    Me, I'm like your mother. "Oh my god, I'm going to KILL YOU if you wake him up! Stay out of there!" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother always told me when I would go check on my kids...Never wake or touch a sleeping baby! Now that I am a grandmother and my oldest grandson is almost 9, I still tip toe back when he is sleeping just to check and stand there for a few moments with a smile. You will always feel a need to check....love ginkolady

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must be a paranoid mother. Because I still do it when Noah is sleeping! I just don't want anything to happen to my little guy! I worked so hard on getting here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have 3 babies, 3 and under and I still check on all three of them! The older 2 I check on at least 1 time a night, and if I don't see them breath or move, I will poke them to get them to stir, with my 6 week old, I will move her as well. I guess I'm a paranoid mommy as well. I just am so terrified of SIDS and I'd rather be overly paranoid than not at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, still do the breathing check on all 4...although I usually don't need to because w ehave kind of noisy sleepers! :) Thanks for following, I am following you as well. Get this: I read Niall's birth story and just had so much sympathy for you. I am a nurse-midwife and could seriously cry for stories like yours. I am most thankful though that Niall is here happy and healthy. And my youngest's due date was 11/22 but was born on 11/14 (of 2008 however)! Can't wait to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, it was a nightmare- but in the end, like you said, I had to be grateful that he was ok (even though I was so devastated about the way he got here).

    That is too funny about the flipped due dates and birth dates with our kids! I can't remember if I put this in my birth story, but I had a dream about 4 months before he was due that it was going to be the 22nd. It was so weird!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Kerry! I remember well the breathing checks I performed on my little helpless critters as they were sleeping so soundly in their cribs. I had 5 and the desire wanned slightly with each one, but never completely went away with my newborns.
    I even used a mirror once to see if it fogged up! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha awww. I think its great you check on him!
    Cute pictures! :] Im ur newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi kerry! thanks for the comment on my blog :)

    niall is super cute, i'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your post. Thanks for your comment on my blog. Are you on Facebook.I have a FB fan page that I would love you to LIKE Mom-stuff Interests http://www.facebook.com/pages/mom-stuff/128036077231350?ref=sgm
    I would love to share your post with other moms.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am on FB, but I'm having trouble finding the right kind of page. I didn't want a group, but I didn't want a page (which I what I ended up doing in the mean time)... I can't seem to find the blogs page that most people are using. Anyway, my page is http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Nesting-With-Niall/125590054153388. I visited your page and hit the Like button :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a marvelous Mom quotes!!! I have collected many quotes from you. Thanks for sharing. :) http://www.quoteschart.com/mom-quotes/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts