"Socializing"

I feel so guilty... this is how I start a lot of my thoughts and conversations, which is something I really need to work on. I think a lot of us moms have been made to feel guilty about one thing or another in our parenting abilities. Not to mention all the other aspects of our lives.

Anyway, I feel terrible when I'm working from home and glance over to find Niall just staring at the floor (or me), bored as can be. I never knew that working from home could actually be as difficult as doing the whole day care, go to work thing.

As a work-at-home mom, you essentially become both the day care provider (which is a full time job in itself) and the business professional. It's really tricky finding the balance of getting your work done and providing a stimulating environment for your baby.

So of course, my pediatrician started making me feel guilty about this when Niall was a mere 4 months old- "Have you started socializing him yet?" is what she asked me. I beg your pardon? Socializing. For a 4 month old. Not only should I be making sure he is interacting with other babies, but apparently they really need to be within a few months of his age.

Am I supposed to go to some baby picking farm and find me some perfectly ripe, socially acceptable babies for Niall to take home with us? I thought this was pretty strange, but it freaked me out a little. Of course we all want to do what is best for our babies. I don't want Niall to be the loner amongst all the other 4 month olds or anything ;)

So now, here we are at 9 months and I've done a pretty shabby job of getting Niall to all these baby parties and what not. Thank goodness for baby Jack. We try to get them together once a week, but it usually ends up being every other week. When they finally get the chance to catch up, they have a lot to talk about- typically how difficult life is, what brand of diapers they're using, and how their napping schedules have been lately...

They were playing the steel drums today (aka formula cans and milk cartons with wooden spoons) and really rocked out. Debbie and I are hoping that one day, they'll hit it big and be able to say they started their garage band together when they were less than a year old!




Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

Comments

  1. Formal "socializing" at 4 months?! Talk about pressure! If you want to skip the baby farm (LOL) you could always try a class. That way you could relieve some of the work-from-home guilt AND the socializing guilt :) I'm lucky enough to have a good library nearby that has free classes (I even made a friend). And if you want to shell out money, there are always Music Together and Gymboree sorts of classes. Don't feel guilty - you (and I, and all moms!) are doing the best we can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good idea- I did do a swim class for him and he loved that. I know that there is a Borders book store near us that does story time for little kids, so that may be my best bet. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts