The Stink Bug Patch

... I mean, pumpkin patch. But there were honestly more stink bugs than there were pumpkins- no joke. I absolutely LOVE pumpkin patches (and all things Halloween/ fall), but I may be scarred for life now.

Let me start at the beginning. I've been looking forward to taking Niall to the pumpkin patch since well before he was born. It's one thing to go pick a pumpkin and carve it to impress the kids who will be stopping by your door. But it's quite another when you have your own little kid to impress. Now the pressure is on!

I wanted to go somewhere that would really give us the full effect of the season. I'm talking hay rides, cider, pumpkins still on the vine, a patch that Niall could actually crawl through- one so thick and bountiful, I could potentially lose sight of him in its abundance... you get the idea.

A place so wonderful would obviously be quite a hike from where we live- but well worth the effort. Our friends knew of the perfect place, so we all went together. About an hour's drive, a few wrong turns, a little bit of a late start... well, it ended up being 4 o'clock by the time we got there- which was no big deal at all. We had no other plans.

But then we noticed the sign at the entrance- Saturdays 11am-5pm. 5pm?!! We only had one hour to get through all of the fun activities I had planned. So we immediately hopped on the hayride with our fresh squeezed lemonades (it was a little too hot for cider that day- 75 degrees!), looked through the pre-picked pumpkin barrels, got a few cute pix, and headed out.




In the span of this one single hour, with windows cracked about a half inch, we opened our car to put the pumpkin (and baby) inside and found something far scarier than any haunted house I've ever been in... I kid you not, scout's honor- at LEAST 38 stink bugs. They were wedged in the cracks of the doors, windows, windshield, the rubber stripping lining the doors and windows, the floor, the seats... EVERYWHERE!

Matt was swatting like a mad man and I was just hyperventilating, repeating over and over "No, I can't do this; No, I can't do this". I tried to swat them out but there were too many! In just my passenger side front door rubber stripping, there were 15-20 of them. It was horrifying. I've had my Halloween scare for this year ;)


Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

Comments

  1. Bless your heart! I'd be scared of all of those stink bugs too!!! But,on the bright side, you all made some great memories and got some really cute pictures!! We're planning on taking our kids to the pumpkin patch this weekend. I'll have to watch out for stink bugs. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! Thats crazy! Both the bugs and the 5pm close time! At least you got to do the basic fun things you wanted to accomplish. It will at least be memorable?

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Like Render Me Mama said at least it will be memorable. thanks for the follow. I am now following you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the follow lady! I got you back! I came here to follow you back, and I have been reading your posts all the way back, i love this blog lol!
    Dawn :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for checking out my blog, I'm following you back.

    ADORABLE pictures. Pumpkin patches are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, but the good news is you have some super cute pics and a great story to tell, and it got me thinking...I don't even know that I've ever seen I stink bug!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to let you know that I tagged you!

    http://penelopeblue.blogspot.com/2010/10/tag-youre-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Yours is adorable- I'm excited to be following!

    ReplyDelete
  9. following you from mid week mingle! i'm hoping you'll follow me back as well!

    best,
    april

    www.marineparents.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Despite being rushed it sounds like you had a good time. I love pumpkin patches. Avery and I have gone once with our playgroup and are going to have a family trip there this weekend. I can't wait. As far as the bugs, ewwww! I would probably flip out, not a bug fan!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had such fun at the pumpkin patch, and with your first, it's SUCH a special experience. I still am nutty with the camera as ever though, and annoy my husband completely, a lot of times even the kids, except for the twins, they are too young to know any better, but one day, he and the children, will look back at the photos, and thank me for it. (Just wish I had more time for scrapbooking ugh, lol)

    Your family is BEAUTIFUL! So, when is baby #2 coming? HAHA! I always find first time mothers, so special, because it's the start of such remarkable changes in your life, as a couple, and the start of the most amazing journey, you will ever know, and love. (Even during the insane times!:)

    God bless you. What a precious little boy. Following ya:) Follow me back, if you dare, hehe. I have quite a brood!

    xoxo Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really hate stink bugs, they are striking our crops causing damage to them, although they are very harmless creatures they causing irritability during at night they crawl in our house and they are really lots of them. . .grrrrr.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts