Captain Crunch

That's my new name... because that's the sound I make at least 4 times a day, when walking around our house- Crunch!  No matter where I go or how many times I vacuum, I somehow manage to squash another one of those sneaky little goldfish or cheerios under my foot. 

It's pretty obvious to any parent of a toddler that 1+ year olds make messes when they eat.  It's not that hard of a concept to grasp.  But it can be pretty tough for 2 anal OCD clean freaks to get used to.  Especially when we managed to perfectly maneuver each little spoonful of pureed perfection into Niall's little mouth for the last 6 months. I would brag about how it only took 1 single wipe to clean up the whole scene after each meal.

Well, the times, they are a changin.  And we better just find a way to get used to it.  I'm definitely coping better than Matt, but it's still an uphill battle.  Finding a cheerio or goldfish on the ground is one thing- but avocado mashed into the rug and hunks of wet, chunky cottage cheese on the floor is a whole other ball game.

Matt came home last night to quite the scene- Niall was flinging chicken and butternut squash soup covered rice all over the place.  He just about had a heart attack.  I believe his exact words were: "What's going on here-- Is this some kind of free-for-all??!"  To which, I replied, "He's learning to feed himself, Matt.  We're just going to have to get over it."  He anxiously rubbed his face and hopelessly sighed, "But there's...there's... a piece of chicken on the floor!  I don't think this is normal."  A piece.  A piece of chicken.  If only he had walked in 10 minutes earlier.

We have a long way to go, but I have hope.  Here's a little example of snack time...







Click it or ticket! Just kidding, but please vote for us :) Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

Comments

  1. oh man, i'm gonna have a hard time with this too. avocado in the carpet?? maybe if i start mentally preparing myself for this now it won't be so bad in a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just losing my mind about this today! My son loves to throw food to the dogs, whether or not they are there. No amount of sweeping finds all the crud! Tonight, my husband gave my son mushy carrots in the living room, and before I knew it, mushed up carrot was everywhere... and I think it gets worse before it gets better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha. I'm still laughing about Matt's reaction. Yeah, the avocado is the worst, I think. Especially since it turns black so quickly. And mushes SO easily. Nate is a maniac when he eats. He insists on throwing everything when he's done...even if he's only done for a minute, because he wants a drink of water. It is SO annoying. "Nate, don't throw it please. Give it to mommy if you're done. Give it mo...oh, you threw it. Again." Good luck. To us all! Niall keeps getting cuter and cuter, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am laughing so hard! Just wait. It unfortunately gets worse. They make the biggest messes.
    My carpet is laden with juice stains from those "Leak" proof cups, and a pink stain here or there from Ovaltine. Yes, it stains things pink. I don't understand it either.

    I will pray for your husband lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the challenges of teaching toddlers to self feed, such a messy business. Matt's reaction cracks me up! We are lucky on 2 counts, we feed Avery over a wooden floor with no area rug and we have 2 dogs so dropped food does not stay on the floor long. But I still feel your pain, it can be quite frustrating! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh forgot to mention, even being ornery he is so stinkin' cute!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts