No More Nappy

Well, it could be a fluke- just some weird little glitch in the schedule last night, but I sense some serious changes coming in this little man's sleep patterns. From day one, he has always woken up between 5:30-6:30. Almost always around 6. I couldn't even believe what happened this morning...

He woke up last night at 1 am, so I shut his door on my way out, hoping that he wouldn't hear Matt get up for work in the morning- and I might get a few extra minutes of shut eye.

Oh man, did that work. Could we have been provoking his early rising this entire time?? Should I have been shutting his door all along? I hit the snooze at 6:40 when I realized he was still asleep, turned it off at 6:50, and woke to my own surprise at 7:20. I couldn't believe he was still asleep.

So after I paced around like a lost dog for a few minutes, wondering what I should do or where I should go, I decided to take advantage. I went downstairs, got some breakfast, turned on the news, checked my email. What the heck was going on here?

The boy didn't get up until 8:30! And he was happy as a clam, I might add. That might not sound like a big deal to some of you, but this little explorer is quite the early riser.



He doesn't even let us sleep in when we pull him into bed with us on Saturday and Sunday. He just starts smacking us in the head and stepping on our faces until we give up.

So just as I was getting really excited about this new wake up time, I realized the flip side of the coin... that this was surely going to affect his naps- and it did.

Niall usually takes an hour and a half morning nap and an hour and a half afternoon nap- I know, jackpot. Believe me, I have never taken that for granted. But I am kind of excited to finally be able to do some of these toddler groups that always seem to take place during one of his naps.

Based on today, it looks like we're skipping the second nap- leaving me with an hour and a half less free time each day. That is, unless I can continue to get my butt out of bed at 6:30. Hmmm... is anyone else going through the napping transition?  How are you coping?


Click it or ticket! Just kidding, but please vote for us :) Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

Comments

  1. My kids both went down to 1 nap at about 12-15 months. The sleeping in part must be great. We get up between 5:30-6:00 every morning because we have to go to work and the kids go to daycare. That means they also wake up that early on the weekend, because that's what they're used to. I wish they would sleep in just a little bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya know, pipe is finally taking longer naps and its been great AND shes been going to bed at like 7, i think she is more tired from all the crawling around. i was asking my mom and she said my sister and i kept napping when we were toddlers. she said the dr told her it was good for us and it gave her time to herself. i dunno how she made us keep doing it but apparently we did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have no advice about the 1-nap transition, but i would think that if he's up & happy there are some definite positives. no more hurrying home when you're out so niall can nap in his own bed. i feel like it's always a race against time to get things done before i need to get home to put parker down so that i can fully utilize nap time w/ free time. maybe replace nap time w/ movie time? haha, i'm such a dead beat mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness. 8:30 - how heavenly! Nate is an early riser and a poor napper. His naps are all in flux right now and I have no idea what is going on, so I am no help. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts