The Perfect Christmas Gift

I've been getting a few different reactions to Niall's hesitation with walking--

A lot of surprise (Really?  He doesn't walk yet!?), quickly masked with reassurance (... uh, oh, well, he'll be up and about in a week I bet), but mostly a lot of pressure mixed with guilt (Come on Niall!  Are you gonna get up and walk for Uncle/Grandpa ___??)

I personally don't think it's a big deal.  He's 13 months now, and I got the impression that the norm was around 12 months.  I know that baby months are like dog years, but I'm pretty sure he's going to be ok.

Luckily, he sealed the deal on Christmas Eve, so we can all relax now.  He had taken a few steps starting just before his first birthday, but it was just a tease.  He would go weeks without doing it again.

But just like his daddy (at 15 months), he wasn't going to commit to this walking gig until he could get up and trek across the room like a pro.  Niall even took it a step further and decided he wanted to skip the whole sauntering thing and go straight to running.  Now, he's pretty much canned the 'all fours' sissy stuff.

Getting a little ahead of himself, but "A" for effort...



I have to admit, this Christmas wasn't exactly what I had expected.  Even though he's only a year old, I had visions of him at least attempting to rip some wrapping paper, or have some remote interest in the presents inside of the paper.


But all he wanted to do was play with the disgusting rubber dog slobber ring toy... which made me realize that what really makes Christmas special and fun are those imperfect moments that you're never expecting, but end up making better memories than the cliche picture most of us have in our head.

He was nice enough to act enthused for a few pictures, though...

not quite ready to give up that month old birthday balloon
nothing like chewing on a dog slobbery block for breakfast
who cares about presents?  just give me those glass ornaments
i guess i can make do with these... "presents"

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas!



Click it or ticket! Just kidding, but please vote for us :) Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

Comments

  1. Ha! My baby was more interested in the left over scraps of wrapping paper. I learned my lesson after my son. They find the box and paper more entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a champ. I LOVE his pjs! Too bad you didn't top the holiday off with 2 feet of snow like I have on LI. Will I ever make it back home???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, he's so cute walking and stumbling around. Nate didn't start walking until 13 months too. For what it's worth, I think the norm is 12-15 months. All I can say is that now that I see how much harder it gets when they walk I am SO GLAD I did not have an early walker! Nate wasn't interested in unwrapping either. At 16.5 months, he did like his toys, but the boxes are definitely the big hits of the holiday. Boxes, paper, dog toys - all a toddler wants for Christmas :) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts