Let the Creative Juices Flow

It's time.  Play time, that is.

Just as I was wallowing in my post infant blues, thinking about how Niall was no longer my little baby (and feeling a little jealous of my friends with newborn babies), we entered into this new and exciting phase of real, live playing.

I've longed for the day when Niall would know what to do when I hid behind a curtain or threw a ball in his direction, and naturally, it's taken a little while. But I have to admit, I've given Niall much less credit than he deserves.

When friends would accidentally curse in front of him and profusely apologize, I would assure them "No worries, he doesn't speak English anyway." But that is certainly not the case, as you moms with more common sense have probably figured out. Babies are so much smarter than that.

So now that he is understanding the concepts of puzzles and balls and little games, I am beside myself with excitement. And let's not lie to ourselves, I'm feeling a little pressure about whether I'm cool enough to keep his busy little mind entertained.

I remember the days of made up languages, stuffed animal dinner parties, and playing house (all of which are a little old for Niall right now, I know)... but I am totally drawing a blank when I imagine initiating toddler games now, at age 27.

My sense of childhood creativity has somehow escaped me. Despite my excitement for this new phase of fun, I am a little nervous about thinking up cool games as opposed to popping open a book. And even more nervous to think that Niall's imagination is surpassing mine by the minute.

So here I am, watching Niall open and close this shoe box, wondering "How can I make this box more than a box?" How can I take his little imagination into another universe? I should know, but I don't.  And then I am reminded how cool it is to be a kid and how lame it is to be an old fart.




I'll work on it and see what I come up with ;)



Click it or ticket! Just kidding, but please vote for us :) Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

Comments

  1. It doesn't look like you need to do more than offer him the raw materials. He's already doing it on his own. He will graduate to telling you what comes next, like cutting windows into it for a fort, or adding wings to make an airplane. Right now is a good time for pennies in an old water bottle (used under supervision to prevent his swallowing the pennies). Squeaky, noisey music toys are good at this stage too. One good thing about mothering is that you keep learning as he does. You will grow up together. :)
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same problem. I swear I used to be a creative person. But when we're playing, I am SO BORING. I have managed to come up with a couple of winners - Nate really enjoys making beds for his stuffed animals and "feeding" them and giving them "water" with his plastic dishes. Good luck - to both of us ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts