The Almost Phase

Everyone makes it sound like one day your baby will just hit these developmental milestones out of nowhere, but nobody ever tells you about the "almost phase" and how it long it lasts. I always thought it was either your baby is crawling or not crawling, talking or not talking, walking or not walking. I'm so confused about what to call these little developments that Niall has accomplished lately.

He is definitely saying "dada" and "baba" and more recently "mama", but I'm almost positive he doesn't mean to say them. Does that mean he's said his first word? I don't know, but I think it has to be intentional. I would think he will be looking at the object of interest and direct the word toward it (or him or her). And I'm not just saying that because I don't want his first official word to be dada ;)

I know about cooing and babbling and all, but this is seems a little bit beyond that. The sounds are really defined and sometimes surprise me by how much they sound like words. The other day, it was just me in the kitchen and he said "Hiii daaaad." Well I'm mom, but I'll take it! He's also doing this really funny clicking thing now- I think it's because he's getting used to the teeth...



I can now officially say he is sitting on his own, though. He went through a phase where he was in this half laying, half sitting position. He was kind of holding himself up but he was mostly hunched over, almost completely on the ground. Now he's fully sitting, but he still uses his hands a little to support himself. I'm just having trouble figuring out when to write these things in his little baby calendar. I'm not sure when he's officially doing anything because of all these in between phases.

I know I mentioned that he's also scooting- a term I never knew about until a few weeks ago. He's not quite able to crawl, but you can bet he's going to get where he wants to be. I caught it on video and it looks like something out of a horror movie. It kind of reminds me of "The Ring" for some reason....



So all of this "almost" phase stuff got me thinking... I imagine when he's ready to start walking, he's not just going to up and take 12 steps out of nowhere. He'll probably take 1 step and plop down, I would think. Does that count? It doesn't really matter to me, I just think it's funny the way people envision these milestones. Everything takes a lot of time and that's a good thing for me, because I want to catch it all on camera!

Comments

Popular Posts