Flashback Friday

This is a flash wayyyy back to the day Niall was born. No wait, typically this would be the photo taken a few hours after a baby is born. But I typically miss these important moments and have to re-create them by doing a fake version of what was really supposed to happen.  This was about 4 days after Niall was born.


I love this picture because I look really happy, somewhat put together, and you can see Niall's little face. But it makes me laugh when I think back to the real story behind the taking of this photo.

So, as most of you know, I ended up with an unexpected c-section after 40 hours of induced labor. The result of that c-section was about 18 hours of complete fog. I honestly don't remember much of anything from that first day with Niall. And I had to stay in the hospital for about 5 days to recover from the surgery (and since Niall had a little jaundice).

As we're packing up to go home, with less than 24 hours until Thanksgiving, I realize "I don't have my mommy and baby picture!!!" But I'm already dressed and ready to leave. So I quickly slip back into my hospital gown, jump back under the covers and force Matt to take a picture of us.

While I'm trying to get myself situated and recreate that brand new mommy emotion, the nurse comes in the room and kicks us out. She tells us that they really need to move the next mother in to the "suite." Matt is naturally mortified that we're taking up anyone's precious time and tries to bag the whole snapshot operation.

But this lady wasn't having it. I earned my cute new baby picture, dangit! I had my stomach torn open with my arms pinned to a cross and couldn't walk for 5 days, thank you very much. WE'RE TAKING THE PICTURE! So I told the nurse we'd be finished in a minute and tried to wipe the frustration from my face as I grimaced a threatening "Take the stupid picture, Matt!!" through pursed lips.

And guess what? I got my special moment captured perfectly. And I don't regret one minute of the way it went down. This picture brings back wonderful memories of how we got off to a bit of a rocky start; things didn't go as planned by any means, but it was all just the way it was meant to be :)





Niall loves your votes! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

Comments

  1. Ha ha! That is a great story behind this picture. And it makes it that more special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol That's great. People will think you're just effortlessly flawless even after hours of labor. Don't worry, your secret is safe with me. :)

    Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might love this flashback post more than any other. Ever. Ohmygoodness that is GREAT!!!!!!!! So totally something I would do! What a great story to share later on, this was too awesome! I'm happy to meet you through Laurens Flashback Friday! I'm your newest follower! http://www.mammatown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. i loooooove that you recreated this shot! and good for you for remembering! it's perfect ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun post! I love your writing style...
    I'm happy to be a new follower -- looking forward to reading more creative entries. You can find my blog "home" at coffeeandcabernet.com. Stop by sometime!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love this story!!! It's awesome!! I can totally see myself doing the same thing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts