The Other Side of the Zoo

The weather has been so hot and humid here that I find myself constantly coming up with excuses to keep Niall inside. "It's so buggy out there," "but 2pm is the peak of the sun's dangerous rays," "we'll go out when the moon comes up."

So I knew that I really had to make it up to him this week, when the weatherman announced "Low Humidity through Friday!" on Monday. We went to the zoo, even though it was in the upper 80s. At least it wasn't so muggy.

But this time was different than all of our other trips to the zoo. Niall was more attentive to what was going on around him; more interested...

in the animals? No, not so much. In things like this:

A frog statue
Bugs and Mulch
More bugs!  Now, this is what you come to the zoo for ;)

But this really was our best trip to the zoo yet, because the petting area was finally open.  We missed the chance to actually go in when the gates are open, but we still got the experience.  Naturally, Niall didn't want to take no for an answer and tried to unlock the gates-- no hesitation about the 1,200 pound cow on the other side of the fence. 


Niall waving to the cow


Can we talk about how cool alpacas are?  They're like a lama crossed with a camel with a big Donald Trump toupee on top of their little bony heads.  And they love to stare at you.  Niall loves to stare back :)


By the end of our seriously 1 mile downhill trek to the very end of the zoo (where this petting area was), I was really dreading the uphill walk to get back to the car.  I would crowd around the other 5 year olds under the cool mist showers every few blocks and just plant myself there for minutes, gasping for breath.  But I'd say it was worth it, and we'll be back again.

Niall loves your votes! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

Comments

  1. This post makes me smile because (a) Niall is holding the toy I gave him, (b) you're at one of my favorite places, (c) I put you at the 'alpaca' table at my wedding LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right! I forgot that we were at alpaca-- and honestly, at the time, I don't think I knew what an alpaca was :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts