An Early Morning

What do you do when your kid wakes up at 5am and won't go back to sleep?  In this family, you throw a hoodie on, do a quick diaper change, and follow daddy to the mom-n-pop donut shop for a pre-workday breakfast, and then scoot on down to the train station (minus daddy).


But sometimes, that train never comes...

What could be worse for a young boy?  Nothing.  We waited for 45 minutes for the freight train to zoom past with that exhilarating "wooosh," only to hear crickets.


We couldn't even see the sunrise- just a pretty, reddish colored sky.  So after pacing the platform about 127 times, I made the executive decision that it was time to go.  Niall fought me tooth and nail (why he was still interested in standing there at the empty station is beyond me), but I scooped him up and took him to the car.



I strapped him into the car seat against his will and explained that the choo choo just wasn't coming today.  I promised we'd come back again as we drove away.  And just then, in the distance, as we were about a mile down the road, we heard it...

CHOOOO CHOOOOO!!!!

I felt terrible.  I truly had a knot in my stomach.  I looked in the rear view mirror and saw his face, completely let down and confused.  "Choo Choo??", he sighed, with those concerned, confused furrowed eyebrows.  I was speechless.  How could I have done this to him?  How could the stupid train have done this to me??

I just repeated "I'm so sorry, Niall.  I'm so sorry" over and over.  It was the first time I can remember being at a total loss for words in a while.  Needless to say, we'll have to make a trip back to the station very soon, or I will be in the dog house for quite some time.


Niall loves your votes! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

Comments

  1. Awww that is so sad. Damn that train

    ReplyDelete
  2. What horrible timing! It is so hard to see them honestly disappointed like that :( But I'm impressed about your solution to early mornings... mine used to be to pin John onto the futon and hope for sleep. And on the days it didn't happen, I was likely to take it pretty hard :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts