Coffee!

My new addiction to coffee is kind of a funny one.  I never drank it until after Niall was born, which is probably normal for a lot of people... but instead of using it to wake myself up the morning after a long sleepless night, I was drinking decaf... at 10:30 in the morning.  Me and caffeine are really not a good mix, so really, what's the point of drinking decaf anyway?  I don't know.

I guess it just became this social thing.  Everyone was drinking their coffees at the park and at each others' houses and it was just this fun treat to look forward to every day.  But it took me a while to like the taste of straight up coffee.  I started with caramel macchiatos and pumpkin lattes (luckily it was mostly the 7-11 version or I might have blown through our entire life savings in a year) ... and after a good year or two of working up the courage, I moved on to plain decaf coffee with a little bit of flavored creamer.  Just in the last 6 months or so, I have graduated to just a little half-n-half; no sugar at all. But no matter what, now I just HAVE to have my grande iced decaf every day ;)

The reason I'm telling you all of these insignificant details of my [obviously very exciting] life is because I'm having trouble understanding something about my children:



If it took me 3 years to like the taste of coffee, how can they be so obsessed at an age where a sugar-less treat would typically be thrown back in my face?  They will forcibly grab my cup out of my hands and try, with all their might, to chug it before I can steal it back.  That is a picture of Niall at around 18 months, and guess who decided to recently hop on the bandwagon with a vengeance?



This kid just started talking last month and he will yell at the lady behind the counter at Dunkin Donuts "Offee!  Offee!", making me look like a complete deadbeat mom.  Then, Niall chimes in with "I want a sip, too!"  Thanks guys.

I made the mistake of giving in to their whining one time when they were hanging all over me to get to my iced coffee.  I thought, for sure, that giving them a sip would confirm my theory that they would absolutely hate it and would finally leave me alone.  I had envisioned them making a face similar to, oh, I don't know, biting into a lemon... not biting into a piece of birthday cake.  I was in a full on game of tug-of-war in the middle of Target with Brendan kicking and screaming for more.

At least, when I had given Niall a sip those couple of years ago, it was something that actually tasted good and made sense that he would like it-- which is why I gave him the LAST sip so that he couldn't bother me anymore.  But the fact that both of them enjoy plain coffee is just so strange (and annoying!).  So occasionally, if I am making my iced coffee at home, I will pour Brendan a cup of ice with almond milk and a splash of my decaf so that he feels like he's drinking his "offee" with me.  But I have to go through the motions like I am making him a real cup of coffee the same way as mine, or he will detect that it's a hoax.  Looks like I have a couple of jitter-bugs on my hands.  What have I gotten myself into :(


 Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

Comments

  1. This is hilarious! My oldest can't sleep if he eats a few M&M's so I don't dare let my guys sample my caffeinated coffee, but the 2 yr old pretends everything is coffee. Like you, I figured if they did try it they would not enjoy it. Now I know not to test my theory!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts