When Life Throws You Lemons...

... actually, let's make that "when life throws you 7 inches of snow and bursts your pipes and water starts dripping through your walls...."

Have a birthday party by yourself!  That's what I always say.

I'm not a big birthday party thrower for my kids; so every year, I just have pizza and cupcakes on the day of Niall/ Brendan's Tuesday playgroup.  This year, I decided to pep it up a little with a Thomas theme for Brendan's big day-- balloons, table gear, made my own cupcake train on my very own hand drawn tracks...  so guess what happened after I spent 3 hours of prepping and baking and drawing and purchasing the party gear the day before?  (Please see opening sentence).



But no matter what life throws at this kid, one thing is for sure-- nothing, and I mean nothing, is going to stop him from enjoying a cupcake.  (Luckily, I was waiting until the last minute to put the icing on.)



Almost every single cupcake had a bite (or multiple bites) taken out of it by the time I caught him, which, after he saw my horrified face, he quickly inserted "OH, I ALL DONE!"


I was very well aware that this was going to happen if he caught a glimpse of those cupcakes, which is why I immediately took him into the basement after breakfast without letting him see the enticing display.  But thinking that Brendan won't smell out a batch of freshly made confections is like thinking a drug-sniffing dog might not find a pound of cocaine hidden under my sink.

No big deal, though.  I simply frosted over the gaping holes and pretended it never happened.  Nobody to impress here.



Which is also why I used the "0" candle for our private party; no sense in wasting the real number on a trial run, right?



Which is also why I wrapped his present in a Christmas bag; no sense in buying a real birthday bag for a 2 year old who can't tell the difference, right?


Which is also why I didn't actually buy him a present from us, but simply gave him the present that his grandparents had sent me money to buy for him.  No sense in wasting money on presents for a 2 year old, right?


(Don't feel sorry for him-- he's 2... and he's closely related to the devil).  Besides, in the end, he had his party (a week late), he had his cupcakes, he had his pizza, he had his Thomas balloons and games, and he had his friends.

...And also in the end, he probably didn't have a clue what it means to have a birthday... or friends, which is exactly what I expected from a 2 year old :)

Comments

Popular Posts